January 20, 2008

Jacob Steals Esau's Birthright

What We Talked About:
Since Esau was the older twin, he was entitled to the birthright: when they'd divide up the inheritance, Esau would receive twice as much as Jacob. But Jacob was rather crafty, and he began looking for a way to get the birthright for himself.

The opportunity came one when when Jacob was cooking some stew. Esau came in from the field. He had been out hunting and had not caught anything. "Give me some of that soup, bro," Esau said. Jacob said, "Sure, Esau, but only if you give me your birthright." "I'm so hungry, I'm about to die! What does the birthright matter to me if I'm dead?" Jacob made Esau swear to give him the birthright. When he did, Jacob gave him some stew

What's the Big Deal?
1. Impatience can cost you bigtime.

What We Did
1. We talked about how different the two twins, Jacob and Esau, were. We hung two strings from the ceiling: one for Jacob and one for Esau. We then attached word cards to each string to describe Jacob and Esau.

Our Memory Verse
Psalm 38:15 - "I wait for you, O Lord; you will answer, O Lord my God."

No comments: