God appeared to Abram and gave him a new name, Abraham, which means "father of many." He reminded Abraham of his promise to him: "You will be the father of many nations." He also gave Abraham's wife a new name: Sarah, which means "princess."
Later, God and two of his angels appeared to Abraham. Abraham ran to his wife, Sarah. The two of them quickly prepared a meal for their guests. God told Abraham that, in one year, he'd return and Sarah would have a child. When Sarah heard this, she laughed. "Can someone as old as me have a baby?" she thought. After all, Abraham and Sarah were 99 and 89 years old and had no children of their own.
God heard Sarah's laugh. "Why did you laugh?" he asked. Sarah knew she was in trouble, so she lied and said she didn't. God said, "Is anything too hard for me? I will return to you next year. Sarah will have a son."
And that's exactly what happened. A year later, Sarah gave birth to her firstborn son. They named him Isaac, which means "laughter."
Big Idea and Motions: Nothing is too hard for God.
- Nothing - wave your arms back and forth and shake your head
- Too hard - pound the bottom of your fist into your palm as you say each word
- God - point up
Verse / Motions: Jeremiah 32:27, ESV - Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?
- Behold - cup your hands around your mouth
- I am - point to yourself with two thumbs
- Lord - point up
- Flesh - squeeze the skin on your arm or cheek
- Anything - wave your arms back and forth
- Too hard - pretend to lift a heavy weight above your head
- Me - point to yourself with two thumbs
Questions to Ask Throughout the Week
- What new name did God give to Abram? // Abraham
- What does Abraham mean? // Father of many.
- What new name did God give to Sarai? // Sarah
- Who came to visit Abraham? // The Lord God and two angels
- What did Abraham and Sarah do for God and the two angels? // Made them food
- What did God say would happen? // Sarah would have a child
- What did Sarah do when she heard that? // She laughed
- When did God say Sarah would have a child? // In one year
- How old were Abraham and Sarah when the baby was born? // 100 and 90.
- What did they name the baby? // Isaac
- What does the name Isaac mean? // Laughter
- What does the word “omnipotent” mean? // All powerful
- What is today’s big idea? // Nothing is too hard for God.
- What is today’s Bible verse? // Jeremiah 32:27, ESV - Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?
Google Docs Links:
Lesson - http://goo.gl/mTggI5
Resources - http://goo.gl/oBxlBY