February 10, 2008

Jacob and His Wives


What We Talked About:
Jacob had to run away from home to live with his mother's brother, Laban. On his way, he ran into Laban's daughter, Rachel. When he saw her, it was love at first sight. He ran to her, told her his story, and they went back to see Laban.

Jacob offered to work for Laban if Laban would let him live with him. Laban say, "Should my sister's son work for me for free? Tell me what you want, and I'll gave it to you." Jacob didn't have to think at all. "If I work for you for 7 years, can I marry your daughter, Rachel?" Laban thought about this and said, "Well, I suppose it's better she marry someone I know that some other guy I don't know, so fine, you can marry Rachel."

Jacob worked for Laban for 7 years, but it only seemed like a day to him because he loved Rachel so much. After the 7 years, they had a wedding feast. That night, Jacob went back to his tent to wait for his bride. But Laban had a trick planned for Jacob. Laban had a daughter named Leah, who was older than Rachel and wasn't married, and he wanted her to get married before Rachel. So, he told Leah to sneak into Jacob's tent, so he would marry her instead of Rachel.

The next morning, Jacob woke up and realized he, the man who had tricked his brother, had been tricked into marrying Leah instead of Rachel. He ran to Laban and yelled, "You tricked me!' Laban told Jacob he could marry Rachel, too, if he wanted, but he had to work for him for another 7 years. So, Jacob married Rachel a week later, and had to work for Laban another 7 years.

What's the Big Deal?
1. We should treat others like we want to be treated.

What We Did
1. We hung balloons from the ceiling. Each balloon had drawn on it something (or someone) that went with our story. We used these hanging balloons of Rachel, Leah, Laban, and others to help tell the story.



Our Memory Verse
Matthew 7:12 - “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you."

No comments: